ABOUT THIS BLOG: OBJECTIVES AND GUIDELINES

What's my group?

Friday, March 18, 2016

Lady Macbeth performed by Marion Cotillard

Macbeth(2014) directed by Justin Kurzel is a brilliant adaptation of the play. I am amazed by both the technical and artistic sides of the film; starting from the cinematography, music, landscapes to the performances. I’d like to focus on the performance of the Marion Cotillard, who plays Lady Macbeth. Her stunning performance made me perceive Lady Macbeth in a different way than when I watched Polanski's version.


Act V, scene 1:
The scene begins by showing the weather's atmosphere, which is foggy, gloomy and dark. This symbolizes despair and misery. In this act, Lady Macbeth have gone mad and is suffering from psychological disorders. She makes a speech to pour out her emotional pressure, stating “Will these hands ne’er be clean?” which indicates the guilt of murdering King Duncan. “The Thane of Fife had a wife.” referring to lady Macduff that Macbeth have killed as well. Marion Cotillard acted this scene with so much emotion, which made me sympathize with her character.

In addition, even though the play does not mention whether Lady Macbeth had a child, the scene shows a vision of Lady Macbeth talking to her dead child. This adds a new layer of analysis to the play that I never observed before. She does not only regret killing the king, but also the laments on what goodness she has lost, from losing her child to bearing the guilt of killing Macduff's family.


To sum up, I think Marion Cotillard was successful in portraying the character Lady Macbeth as she have performed it in a great way by giving a new depth to the character.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Marion Cotillard is magnificent and moving in this portrayal of Lady Macbeth. Although there are some things I don't like about the new film, I still think it's really good and well worth seeing. It made me think about the play in a new and different way!

    ReplyDelete