ABOUT THIS BLOG: OBJECTIVES AND GUIDELINES

What's my group?

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Do We Really Know Ava???




I have an interest for science fiction movies since I was a kid. When I saw the web sites provided to us in our blog, when I see robots, I feel excited. I have seen many recent movies about these artificial creatures, made by humans. Recently I saw "Ex Machina" and "Her". In "Ex Machina", what we see is a woman robot with a beautiful body rather than in “Her", It is just a clever women voice that came out from an artificial mind in a computer. But now I want to talk about a little bout Ex Machine movie. When I was watching the movie, at the beginning I thought that Ava, the robot girl, is just innocent robot with so cleverness and Nathan who is the bad guy who created Ava and also uses her. When the relationship between Ava and Caleb, who is the guy to test Ava, become stronger I thought that the same story again, man fells in love with a robot but they will not be themselves because of the major difference between them. But then flow of the film has changed and drag me in to subject. Ava started to acting weird, she can take power control of the house, which is designed for this duty, and she can do things and say things without Nathan’s knowledge. She was not only an clever robot, who can make a men to think about herself, but also have a power of manipulation. She could manage to deceive Caleb and escape from the house. 

Now, the main issue here is that about old debate about artifical intelligence. To problems to be discussed: can a artificial intelligence reach human intelligence?,How can we determine the existence of artificial consciousness? In the film there was an conflict which drag me to the story, can an artificial intelligence convince other person rather than its creator about its intelligence. This can be related with Descartes and even Plato, both have thoughts about being aware of own consciousness and body parts. Also people likes having thoughts about what they can not see from observations of what they can see. Then, I will finish with this situation. In movie, Ava could survive and went beyond what she at once programmed by Nathan, So in a sense she manages to become something beyond her parts. Thus, our observations about Ava can hardly say all about Ava as she goes beyond from her program. To conclude then, we do not know anything about Ava!

Here is IMDB link for movie

1 comment:

  1. I also consider the artificial intelligences' intelligence level. What makes them clever than us? Our as you have mentioned, how can we determined their consciousness? These are easy to ask, hard to answer questions.

    ReplyDelete