ABOUT THIS BLOG: OBJECTIVES AND GUIDELINES

What's my group?

Friday, March 18, 2016

HOW MACBETH AND THREE WITCHES ARE INTERPRETED IN ARTWORK

         
      I found an image below which depicts Macbeth, three witches and Banquo. That the witches are supernatural part of 'Macbeth' evoked my interest!!!
      In 'Macbeth', the witches do not care Banquo. Their business is not with him, and they will not
speak to Banquo. In the image, the gestures of the witches prove that they are trying to speak to Macbeth and they are trying to prevent Macbeth from moving away. According to tragedy, the witches are depicted as the bearded woman. When looking the witches in the image, I think they don't have beard. The red dressed witch looks like woman. I think the appearances of the witches deviate from the tragedy.
       In the image, Macbeth wants to hear what the witches say. He looks cool :) while Banquo looks annoyed. According to the tragedy, Macbeth is not cool as he was depicted in the image. Macbeth is shocked by the speech of the witches. I think, the feelings of Macbeth should have been reflected in this image. In this image, the reactions of Banquo do not deviate from the tragedy. As we read 'Macbeh', Banquo knows the risks of listening to the witches.
     
 

2 comments:

  1. There's something that really got my attention in this painting - they don't have "beards". They didn't have beards in the Polanski movie either, and when I google search, most images of the witches seem to be beardless...It's a bit strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in most of the paintings and the movies, the witches represented as beardless. But I think it is for the sake of the observer's understanding. Imagine the three witches had beards in this painting, could we understand that they're witches, or even that they're women? I don't think so. In my opinion, the beards of witches are negligible parts of their characteristics, but I appreciate your attention to catch this detail! :)

    ReplyDelete