ABOUT THIS BLOG: OBJECTIVES AND GUIDELINES

What's my group?

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Second Short Essay

In the play Macbeth, written by Shakespeare, when Macbeth approached his wife, Lady Macbeth, and told her that he had decided not to murder Duncan, his wife makes an infamous speech which leads to Macbeth changing his mind and proceeding on to murder Duncan. While reading this speech in the play, I had an image in my mind as if Lady Macbeth was giving the speech in a controlling and compulsive manner towards Macbeth. It seemed as if, she was angry and was openly expressing her anger in a strong manner. This image of this scene didn’t fit well in my mind, considering the era in which the play was written and the time which it was portraying because in that time, women didn’t have enough liberty to approach their partners in such a manner. Hence, something seemed out of place to me.
On the contrary, when I watched the film by Roman Polanski, it effectively clarified the image that I had inaccurately built up in my mind. The character of Lady Macbeth, in the film, had effectively portrayed that she was approaching Macbeth by expressing feelings of love, telling him how much hurt she had been, being soft spoken, and trying to invoke the feelings of pride, ego, and manhood of Macbeth. And this clarified the initial image that I had built up in my mind.
Since, by watching the film, my imagination of the original play, by Shakespeare, became much clearer than it was before watching the film, and scenes like this had settled that which earlier seemed out of place to me, I consider it an effective adaptation of the original play by Shakespeare.    

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, while reading the play, I regarded the scene as a great example of the contrast in personalities of Macbeth and his wife. Macbeth is supposed to be the man and the one who makes the decisions, however as his wife thinks he is 'too full of the milk of human kindness'. On the other hand, she is very ambitious and manipulative. Her gender role is not supposed to prevent her display her true nature. Your writing is overall interesting and has a clear message, however i would suggest you to divide your message into subarguments in several passages, so that it would deliver the message in a more targettin way.

    ReplyDelete