ABOUT THIS BLOG: OBJECTIVES AND GUIDELINES

What's my group?

Saturday, February 27, 2016

My window that opens to the Naples

My window that opens to the Naples


I want to mention about one of my favorite painting that calls “Balcony Room with a View of the Bay of Naples” by Carl Gustav Carus. This summer I went to “Alte Nationalgalerie” in Berlin to see the best romantic symbolism paintings in the world. I was really excited about this experience because I had a chance to see lots of famous paintings and besides their original ones. But I had never thought that I would found my kind of picture. This canvas impressed me deeply because it made me feel that I was there before, I experienced that moment before.  After reading the Alberti I can understand clearer that I think I love those art because of its systematic and geometry.

Firstly I always love to watch the movies by Kubrick. There is a connection among Kubrick’s film technique, Carus’s toile and Alberti’s idea. It is not hard to guess, ıt is the one point perspective. When we look the painting for the first time, our eyes focus directly to the perspective point or in other words to the castle which is an opening to support the main thought by clearing the background. If someone uses this technic, he usually puts the main idea by using an imaginary circumscription around the point. When I looked primarily to this painting, I remembered my hometown, my sweet small fisher town. With this memory I could hear the waves’ smooth sound and could smell the fresh air of moss, although I was in Berlin. These reasons influenced me and I couldn’t forget this painting.

Secondly the color-light balance impressed me. As Alberti says in the On Painting “…There is, then, a very close relationship between colours and lights in the function of sight; and the extent of this can be observed in the fact that as the light disappears, so also do the colours, and when it returns, the colours come back along with the strength of the light….(pg.44)”. Carus expresses his thoughts about the morning’s sunlight very cleverly by using the strength of the light. I saw a man who lives in flat that has a sea scenery. It is so early that the fishers don’t sail, it is so early that the white mist disperses newly, it is early that there is not a single motion on the sea. We can all understand those by analyzing the colors. On the other hand there is a small composition on the front view too. We can see a door that opens into the balcony that has a scenery of the Naples. Behind the door is full of light but the other side tries to tell us something different. There is a guitar that stays alone there, I think the painter associates himself with the guitar and tries to state his loneliness near the beauty. It stays between light and dark but it can’t pass the threshold because it needs someone to carry it to the light. Maybe the painter verbalizes his bad psychology by drawing that guitar. He has a chance to leave the darkness to see the morning light but there is nobody around him. He has a potential to create something remarkable but he hasn’t got an artist who can play him, lead him, and carry him to the beauty…  These factors influenced me most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment