ABOUT THIS BLOG: OBJECTIVES AND GUIDELINES

What's my group?

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Hip-Hop & Shakespeare

A modern day hip-hop artist, Akala, in his Ted Talk, shows us the connection between Shakespeare and hip-hop and focuses on power of language on a broad level.

He starts with his speech by asking his audience if they can differentiate Shakespeare from hip-hop. 

And they can’t.

I think this creative artist raises the bar for everyone producing music today and contributes a lot to today’s music culture.


After watching his speech (see here) , it occurred to me that the link between modern hip-hop culture and Shakespeare is stronger than we think. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting video! I guessed whether the quoutations were from rap artists or Shakespeare wrongly almost everytime, which surprised me very much. Besides, performing Sonnet 18 (one of my favourites from Shakespeare) like a rap song is impressive because thus we can realize the effects that the use of meter and rhyme scheme creates in a poem.
    I loved the idea that iambs are the imitations of the rhythm of life, or the heartbeats. I was a little biassed against the poems with meter but now I begin to think there might be very deep meanings and purposes in them. Thank you for sharing the video with us!

    ReplyDelete